Saturday, March 24, 2012

::crumble::

I am not a big dessert eater - I just don't like sweets; plain and simple. Hard to believe, eh? A lot of people can't believe it whenever I pass on dessert, birthday cake, ice cream and the like...to be honest, I would rather have another dollop of mashed potatoes or a second serving of spaghetti then Häagen-Dazs or a Snickers. But from time to time I will "indulge" a little bit and it is usually if and when my Mom makes desserts or if we go to a Polish bakery and get some pastries. 
I'll tell you one thing, my Mom makes a mean apple crumble. 
I love her baking/cooking and she usually made this crumble around Christmas time...where the entire house smelled like cinnamon and baked apples...ahh, it smelled so heavenly during that time! I should get the recipe from her and try it out myself sometime...

The other night I went over to my parent's neighbour's house to drop off some magazines and Tammy {my Mom's friend as well who is such a sweetheart} gave us a couple mags too. 
As I was going through the "Something Extra" magazine I stumbled across a crumble recipe that also has blackberry's in it - I love berries.
I decided to share the recipe with you guys and maybe my Mom will try this one out sometime as well. 
I have only posted a small handful of dessert recipes on this blog so enjoy this one. ;) 

Bon Appetit!


Apple Blackberry Crumble
Prep: 20 minutes :: Cook: 45 minutes :: Serves: 8

Ingredients
4 large green apples
1 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. flour
{Topping}
1/2 cup rolled {old fashioned} oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 tbsp. organic butter or buttery spread, cut into pieces

Directions
1. Preheat over to 375F and spray an 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Peel, core and cube apples. Stir in blackberries, sugar and flour. Pour into prepared dish. 
3. Stir together all topping ingredients in a small bowl with a fork and sprinkle over fruit. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

{Nutrition per serving: 208 calories, 2 g protein, 5 g total fat, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fibre, 30 g sugar, 11 mg cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 6 points.}


There ya go! And on top of that it sounds like a healthier version as well. 
I might make this for mine and my boyfriend's anniversary dinner when I get back to Canada. :)) 


-S.*

{Image from Google Images}

No comments:

Post a Comment