Tuesday, May 08, 2012

::mediterranean:halibut:sandwiches::

Well, I have been keeping busy on my end. Dropped of some resumes and hope to hear from someone soon for an intervieeew. It is hard this time of year as students are taking all the jobs since they are done for the school year - no, this is not an excuse. 
The weekend was a fabulous one but went by sooo fast. Saturday was a good one, road-tripping to 'Sauga and then Sunday was yard work and sitting out in the sun reading. Which wasn't too good of an idea as I got a sunburn! Baaaad. 
But I worked in my garden and now all I have to do is buy more dirt for it along with my veggies and my herbs.
I also got my information for the school that I am interested in going to - the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition and there is an open house on the 27th of May which I am going to drag the boyfriend to so I am excited to check it out. :))
Then in the very beginning of June there is the Toronto SuperShow - fitness expo that I am sooo excited to go to. Tickets are only $15...hm..which reminds me, I should probably buy those tickets. Okay, will do that after this post. 
So, I have ben promising a recipe and haven't provided so I am going to give one to ya now!
It's from the latest cookbook by Giada De Laurentiis {she is currently on her book tour for this one} and it's called "Weeknights with Giada". 
So many amazing and healthy recipes with lots of images. Love this book! :)

Bon Appetit!


Mediterranean Halibut Sandwiches
Growing up in Italy, I spent many days on the beaches of the Mediterranean. This sandwich combines some of the area's best ingredients and flavours, including fresh fish, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, parsley, capers, and arugula. I love to pack up the sandwiches and bring them down to the beach near my home, where Todd, Jade, and I can have a dinner picnic.

Serves 4

Ingredients
Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 {6-ounce} halibut fillets, skinned
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil, for drizzling
1 load of ciabatta bread, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise
1 garlic clove, halved
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tablespoon capers, drained and mashed
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
2 packed cups {2 ounces} arugula

Directions
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450F.

Spray a small baking sheet or glass baking dish with vegetable oil. Season the halibut on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through and the flesh flakes easily when poked with a fork. Set aside to cook completely, about 20 minutes. 

Remove some of the dough from the top half of the bread. Brush the cut sides of the bread with olive oil. Put the bread on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes, until light golden. Remove and rub the cooked surface with the cut side of the garlic. 

In a medium bowl, comine the mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, parsley, capers, lemon zest, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. 

Using a fork, flake the cooked fish and add to the mayonnaise mixture. Mix until incorporated. Spoon the filling on the bottom half of the bread. Top with the arugula. Add the top half of the bread and cut into 4 sandwiches. 


I am pretty sure that this recipe is in the new issue of Women's Health as well. Not that it matters either way, you can get it there, the cookbook or here now. :) 
But I highly recommend you get the book because it is jampacked with so many delicious recipes. I am definitely going to be trying this light and delicious looking recipe sometime this week or weekend. :) 
Oh, and according to health.com - this recipe has only 419 calories which is great!


-S.*

{Source: Page 62 of Weeknights with Giada - Image from Google Images: Health.Com}

No comments:

Post a Comment