Friday, September 30, 2011

::fall::

I guess I sort of want to start off with a poem. 
My boyfriend and I are going through a lot of our things in our apartment and throwing out the items that we barely use, or haven't used in years...this means, that I have to go through a lot of my magazines and chuck 'em. This is difficult...as I have been collecting fashion magazines since 2005.
But as much as I adore them, and they are kept in absolute mint condition, I am getting older and there is just no point in buying all of them and just having them sit around and collect dust. 
My boyfriend told me that I should start throwing them out after I read them like my Mom does. HA! That will never happen. I will start throwing out the magazines up to 2009 though...and then I will get more picky and choosey. 
For example, I will not throw out my fitness/health magazines - those will never go out of style. There is always information that I can pick up after a year of having it...I can throw out, however, the Vogue Australia issues from 2005 as, the fashion is old and I am not going to be re-reading the same articles about what place to travel that year or the background stories of the "it" models of that time. 
So...therefore, I shall be keeping my Glamour mags, Self, Women's Health, etc. The fitness mags I haven't really started buying since halfway through last year, so there aren't that many...but I do love my Glamour mags, so I am keeping those {oh, and special edition Vogues, Elles and Marie Claires}.
This is going to be tricky....but it really has to be done.
Anyways!
Other then that, old bills, cards, clothes, shoes, kitchen stuff, bedroom stuff...all of it, out in the garbage, or to our local Salvation Army. 
So! Back to the point!
I was going through some old Birthday/Holiday cards and almost every one of them that came from my Mom and Pops has a little poem in it. 
My Mom finds these cute little poems or blurbs and writes them on the inside of the cards. They always put a smile to my face. She puts forth that extra effort to make the card mine and personal. 
When I was younger, I used to write a bit of poetry as well...I would be inspired on a regular basis, whether it be by music, art, illustration...even the weather...that would inspire to pick up my little notebook and scrawl down words as fast as I could think them up. I definitely think that some poems or even song lyrics, can evoke a lot of emotions and for me, Fall and anything to do with Fall, does that for me. 
I was never able to choose my favorite season in the past, but I know now, that Fall is my favorite. 
Anyways - a little Fall poem for the day. :)

Autumn Fires
(by: Robert Louis Stevenson {from A Child's Garden of Verses, 1885}). 


In the other gardens
And all up the vale
From the autumn bonfires
See the smoke trail!

Pleasant summer over
And all the summer flowers, 
The red fire blazes, 
The gray smoke towers.

Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer, 
Fires in the fall!





-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment