Wednesday, June 12, 2013

::slowcooker:lasagna::

In The Kitchen...

I am not a huge lasagna lover...which should sound completely absurd to those who know me because I am obsessed with pasta, spaghetti sauce and cheese...those is just a melange of all three that are just baked, so what is up with that?
I don't know to be quite honest, I don't believe I had a traumatic experience involving pasta while growing up. I have had my fair share of gross lasagna's but I guess it is something that I just haven't come to love for some bizarre unknown reason. I haven't had it for so long that I can't quite put my finger on it...maybe it's the cheese? The texture of the noodles...not as al dente as I would like, the chunky veg? Although veg is healthy for you so I would incorporate it into my meal anyways. 
I think I might give lasagna another shot at impressing the heck out of me. BUT, I don't want to get the store bought, prepackaged crap so I will tackle my own made-from-scratch lasagna...in the slow cooker of course.
Now, there is a worry there for me that the noodles will get overcooked in the slow cooker...but as I said in a previous, recent, post...we'll never know if we don't try.


Bon Appetit!


Slow Cooker Lasagna
Prep: 30 min // Cook: 4 hours // Servings: 4-6

Ingredients
1 lb Italian-style sausage meat, mild or spicy
1 large carrot, peeled and finely grated
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 litre {4 cups} tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
475 g ricotta cheese
1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper

Preparation
1. In a bowl, combine the sausage, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
2. Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce at the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with a layer of noodles. Feel free to break them, if necessary.

3. Cover with one third of the meat mixture. Cover with 1 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. Cover with a layer of noodles and add the ricotta cheese. 

4. Follow with a layer of noodles. Add one third of the meat mixture. Cover with 1 cup tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. 

5. Cover noodles and repeat with remaining meat, 1 cup tomato sauce and Parmesan. Finish with the remaining sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese. 

6. Cover and cook on low for about four hours. 

TIP: Depending on the type of slow cooker, cooking time may vary. When the pasta is tender with the tip of a knife, the lasagna is ready. We do not recommend keeping the lasagna in the waiting mode {WARM} after cooking, the pasta will become too soft. 


There ya go! My mind is no put at ease with the TIP regarding the noodles. 
Definitely a recipe I will be trying very soon!


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment