Monday, April 25, 2011

::nibbles::

Here we have another recipe to share with you guys.
This stuff I have never tried before and I am kinda irked by giving it a shot but I hear nothing but good things about it so hey - maybe I will give it a shot.
What does eggplant taste like? Is it bitter? I don't want to put all this energy into a recipe that I might very well end up hating - but you never know until you don't try, right?
So maybe I will try it this weekend when I have a bit of extra time.
I also hear in the comments section of this recipe {that's right, Martha Stewart website} that you probably need a bit more marinara sauce then what is suggested. So go ahead and grab two cans at the store instead of one. Just in case.
Bon Appetit!


Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
Baked eggplant and a healthier bechamel match up in an Italian classic made virtuous. The cheeses are on top, instead of in layers, with a creamy pink sauce underneath.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients
1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
1 tablespoon olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup homemade or best-quality store-bought marinara sauce
1/2 cup grated park-skim mozzarella
1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Directions
1. Prehead oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.

2. Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Spread cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake up upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.


Let me know if you guys give this "lighter" version a try.


-S.*

1 comment:

  1. I love all your recipe posts! I'm growing eggplant myself, but it won't be ready for picking til the summer. I'll definitely be trying this recipe out then!

    ReplyDelete