Wednesday, January 18, 2012

::pork:medallion:pasta::

Okay, so in the past I have mentioned that I post a lot of chicken and seafood recipes and rarely touch upon meats such as beef and pork ~ probably because I just don't eat a lot of it {especially beef, much to my boyfriend's chagrin, lol}. But I did find some delicious looking recipes in Rachel Ray's latest cookbook that a friend of mine purchased for me {I seriously love this cookbook}...so I will share a few of my next recipes from this book. 
So instead of blabbing away for half of the post, let's begin!

Bon Appetit!


Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Marsala Sauce & Pasta
From Rachel Ray's Look+Cook - PG. 166-167

"My Mom is from Sicily, where Marsala is made. This is a simple recipe for you to share with your loved ones."

Ingredients
Salt
1 pound pappardelle or fettuccine
2 pork tenderloins, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds total, trimmed of connective tissue and silver skin {you can ask your butcher to do this}
Black pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons EVOO {extra-virgin olive oil}
4 tablespoons {1/2 stick} butter
1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup Marsala {wine}
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped

Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When the water boils, add salt and cook the pasta to al dente. Drain the pasta.
While the water comes to a boil, slice each of the pork tenderloins into 2-inch pieces. Arrange the meat in batches between parchment paper and pound it into thin medallions, 1/8-inch thick. Season the meat with salt and pepper and dredge in the 1/2 cup flour to coat lightly. 
Heat a tablespoon or two of the EVOO at a time in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the medallions in batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Keep the cooked meat on a platter. 
When the pork is finished cooking, add the butter to the skillet. Then add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes, add the garlic to the pan after 3 to 4 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for 1 more minute. Add the Marsala to the pan and cook for a minute or so, until the wine is reduced by about half. Add the chicken stock to the pan and bring the sauce up to a bubble. Slide the meat back in and stir in the parsley. 
Remove the pork and arrange on a platter or dinner plates. 
Toss the cooked pasta with the remaining sauce and serve alongside. 



Sounds simple and delicious enough!
I at first had no idea what Marsala was - an Indian term, lol, and I was like, "What?? They make it in Italy?" but anyways, I made sure to add that up top to the ingredients list after I figured it out. 
Now, you might be asking what if you can't find marsala - other substitutions would be a port, dry sherry or Madiera wine. 
Some people just say to use any leftover wine if you want to - even a Pinot Noir from California...apparently Marsala quite a sweet wine so a lot of people recommend using Sherry. 
If you're still not convinced than ask someone at your local liquor store for any suggestions. 

Let me know if you give this recipe a shot! :)
PS. If you want to watch the video of how to make this recipe just google the recipe name and Rachel Ray's website should pop up. 
I was also surprised to find the one of the pictures of this recipe online that's in the book. :) 
I think Rachel Ray is growing on me. Lol. 


-S.*

2 comments:

  1. aww too bad i do not eat pork, but actual a vegetarian option with veggie snitzel or something might taste just as good! rachel ray may have good recipes, i do not doubt that, but for me she is just too hyper and annoying to watch on the food network :P

    <3 rae

    http://www.loveforschoolgirl.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you, I am not the biggest RR fan either...but this book is kick-ass. She definitely is too hyper for me as well!! Lol.
    Good alternatives for the recipe as well! If you try it out, keep me posted on what you thought of it! :)

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete