Tuesday, December 14, 2010

::per:il:mio:amore::

Okay, so as you may have read in one of my previous posts, I don't eat beef. It wasn't a conscious decision at all. I just decided one day that I wasn't going to eat beef and I haven't touched it in like, 5 years or something like that. Give or take.
But, I live with and love a meat-eater, who loves his beef. Unfortunately, I don't make alot of it at all, so he misses out on it. Not that eating it all the time is a good idea anyways.
I usually cook everything else but beef. But sometimes when I have a tun of time on my hands or if I am bored, I will make him a steak or something...
Okay, I lied, I only did this once, but I am thinking of making more beef dishes for him.  Haha.
I don't really mind touching it at all, I am not a total vegan or anything, but I just won't eat the stuff. Yea, sometimes I miss a big fat juicy burger or a taco with beef filling, but, I am just fine without it.
Anyways, this recipe is for my boyfriend, the beef-eater. :)
I plan on making this for him at some point soon. My Mom & Dad used to make a killer beef stew ~ and it was sooooo good. Beef stews are the heartiest and most comfiest comfort food.
Let me know what you guys think of this recipe.
Bon Appetit!


Beef Stew

You can make this beef stew in the oven or a slow cooker. Either way, you will have a warming, wholesome and wonderfully flavorful meal.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours & 45 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients
3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/3 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound medium onions (about 2), cut into 1-inch chunks
1 pound small white or red new potatoes (about 6), well scrubbed, halved if large
1 pound carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
6 garlic cloves, smashed
2 bay leaves
Directions
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven (5-quart) with a tight-fitting lid, combine beef, tomato paste, vinegar and flour; season with salt and pepper.

2. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven and cook until meat is fork-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves and if desired, season with salt and pepper before serving.


Helpful Hint
Slow-Cooker Variation: Place beef in a 5-quart slow cooker. Distribute tomato paste, vinegar and flour over beef; season generously with salt and pepper. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic and bay leaves. Cover slow cooker; cook on high until beef is fork-tender, about 5 hours (or cook on low heat 8 hours).


Hopefully my bf loves this!
I will keep you guys posted.
Maybe I will get a gift the next day ;) {haha!}.



-S.*

(Source: Martha Stewart Living Website)

No comments:

Post a Comment