Monday, December 03, 2012

::baked:banana:pecan:oatmeal::

I am not a huge fan of breakfast. I know this sounds absolutely terrible coming from someone who is studying holistic nutrition. I am not going to lie, if I don't have to, I won't eat breakfast, and a lot of the time I will just have a latte, or force myself to have a protein shake. I say that I don't have the time in the morning to cook, I do, but I just don't want to. Not right in the morning. I am trying to eat more yogurt...and I feed that to Travis too. Lol. At my old work, when food was free I would always get an egg white omelette with mushrooms and one slice of multigrain toast. Man do I miss that...because THAT was good...but as I said, I don't want to stand at the stove at 6am cooking this for myself. So I don't. Anyways...this is a habit that I have formed and abided by over the years...not good and I am going to try and make more of an effort - make something the night before, who knows. I do know a few people that religiously eat breakfast despite not enjoying it themselves...I don't believe my Sister likes breakfast much...and my Mom always has breakfast. I saw this next recipe in the newest issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food...I saw this and immediately thought of my Mom. I don't think I will try it because it has banana's and I am not a fan (lol) but maybe my Sis and Mom will try this out and maybe one of you darlings will as well. 

Bon Appetit!!

Baked Banana Pecan Oatmeal
Serves: 4 // Active Time: 5 min // Total Time: 20 min + soaking

Ingredients
1-1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 firm-ripe bananas, sliced 1/4-inch thick on the diagonal
3 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar, whisked to remove lumps
1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped and toasted

Directions
1. In a medium pot, bring 4-1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in oats and salt and cook 1 minute. Let cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight. 
2. Bring oatmeal to a simmer over medium-high. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. 
3. Heat broiled, with rack 4 inches from heat. Top oatmeal with bananas and brown sugar and broil until bananas are caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans to serve. 

(Per Serv: 360 cal; 10 g fat (1 g sat fat); 11 g protein; 65 g carb; 8 g fibre)

Okay, so maybe this isn't the fastest recipe for some of you working folk, but maybe it can be something you can do during a weekend brunch or somethin'. 
Either way, you're welcome, lol.


-S.*

{Images: Martha Stewart Everyday Food Site & Google Images}

2 comments: