Tuesday, December 18, 2012

::bistro:beef:stew::

I stopped eating beef about 7-8 years ago, it was a spur of the moment random decision because my ex worked at a beef packaging plant that I decided I was going to stop eating red meat entirely {wait, is pork a red meat?}. 
That's not to say that I didn't love a burger or a steak like the next person. My Mom & Dad used to make some amazing beef dishes that were just delicious. 
Especially stews and such...which of course, I miss. 
I have decided though that I can't allow Travis to suffer and my having to drag him onto the "no beef" train...because he is a big red meat lover. 
So I am going to make a stew for him at some point over the Christmas holidays...and I found a fantastic recipe on the Self mag website. It is a lightened up version of your beef stew so you don't have to worry about extra calories. 
What better way to spend a quiet and cozy night home while it's snowing outside then with a big bowl of beef stew? :) 

Bon Appetit!


Lightened-Up Bistro Beef Stew

"Nothing sounds better on those cold nights than curling up with a nice, hearty bowl of beef stew. It's savory, filling and super-yummy - what else could possibly be better this weekend?! This Bistro Beef Stew from The Healthy Beef Cookbook written by my frien and colleague, Betsy Hornick, MS, RD, is actually quite healthy. One serving of the stuff clocks in under 300 calories, and yet you still get all the nutritional benefits of lean beef including protein, B vitamins and iron. The veggies add fiber and the herbs, wine and slow simmering add that comfort-food flavor. #NomNom." ~ Sarah-Jane Bedwell

Ingredients
2 pounds boneless beef bottom round roast or boneless beef chuck shoulder roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon salt
2 medium onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
1 cup dry red wine
1 can {14 to 14.5 ounces} ready-to-serve beef broth
12 ounces assorted small whole mushrooms {such as cremini, shiitake and button}
2 cups packaged baby carrots
1 cup frozen peas

Instructions
Combine flour and pepper. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture; reserve any remaining flour mixture. 

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot; season with salt. 

Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot. Add onions, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Stir in broth and reserved flour mixture. Return beef and juices to stockpot. Stir in mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/4 hours. Add carrots to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and carrots are fork tender. Stir in peas; simmer 5 minutes. Makes six servings. 

Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 281 calories; 9 g fat {2 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat}; 64 mg cholesterol; 711 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrates; 3.3 g fiber; 29 g protein. 


I think for me, I would probably add a bit more veggies, like potatoes and such. That would be delicious. Even though I am not a beef eater, this recipe sounds and looks delish. :) 


-S.*

2 comments:

  1. Hi dear, thank you so much for the follow, I follow you back on GFC and BLOGLOVIN! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous recipe! yummm!! Wld love to c u drop by my blog and follow maybe :)
    www.fashionistaera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete