Friday, February 24, 2012

::flat:iron:steak::

I am not a beef fan - well, I used to be, I really loved steak and my parents made the best steaks EVER but I decided one day that I wasn't going to eat beef and haven't touched it for about 6 years or so {except that one time my boyfriend's Mom gave me a rack of ribs and told me it was pork and it was actually veal...}. But anyways, lol. 
Since the bf loves beef here is a little recipe just for him...and for all you beef lovers as well. Who know's - maybe one day I will get into beef again...not anytime soon, I am afraid if I get a taste for it - especially during my little weight loss venture, that you probably won't be able to drag me out of Burger King for a month. 
So here is another recipe form Everyday Food Light {page 326/327} and than I am off for a bubble bath and read some Harlan Coben. :) 

Bon Appetit!


Flat Iron Steak with Cauliflower and Arugula
Serves 4 :: Prep Time: 25 minutes :: Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
4 small flat iron steaks {5 to 6 ounces each}
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 head cauliflower {about 2-1/2 pounds}, cored and cut into florets
2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup water, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bunches arugula {about 10 ounces total}, thick stems removed, washed and well dried
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler

Directions
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Pat dry steaks and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare {reduce heat if browning too quickly}. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. 

2. Add cauliflower, garlic, and the water to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until cauliflower is browned and crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. {If bottom of skillet becomes too dry, add 1/4 cup more water.}

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add arugula, cauliflower, and Parmesan to dressing in bowl; toss {arugula will wilt}. Serve steaks and salad with lemon wedges. 

PER SERVING: 329 calories; 18.3 g fat {6.3 g saturated fat}; 32.8 g protein; 8.8 g carbohydrates; 3.5 g fibre.

Why It's Light
Serving small, lean steaks - only five to six ounces each - along with a lightly dressed salad of cauliflower and arugula keeps this meal low in calories. The only added oil is used in the dressing. The steak is seared in a dry skillet; the cauliflower is browned in the juices left behind.


There is definitely under five recipes in total on this blog that has anything to do with steak, so enjoy this one! Lol. And it's light and healthy if you're on the path of leading a healthy lifestyle! :) 
I am sure I will post more in the future, so definitely keep posted to this blog. 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment