Friday, May 27, 2011

::deep:south::

So our excursion to the deep South begins! 
I saw this recipe and my mouth watered instantly - looks sooo good and hearty and lovely and would adore being in my tummy {ha ha}.
Considering I am trying to eat a lot healthier at work and at home this would make a great weeknight or weekend dish. I think I am going to give this recipe a shot this weekend though and will keep you posted on what it tasted like.
Oh - I also want to mention that the buffalo chicken slider recipe? Well, I made it on Tuesday night but with mashed potatoes instead - it was sooooo good. I didn't really like the blue cheese dressing but my boyfriend loved it and thought it was a hit. You guys should definitely try it, the hot sauce was to-die-for. 
I definitely think that I would make this next recipe with rice or some mashed potatoes. Who know's - what do you guys think? Looks really delicious regardless! 

Bon Appetit!


Deep South Shrimp and Sausage
Our lightened version of low-country shrimp and grits is high on flavor and low in fat and calories
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 9 minutes
Other: 2 minutes
Yield: 4 servings {serving size: 3/4 cup}

Ingredients
Cooking spray
3/4 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup refrigerated prechopped tricolor bell pepper
1 {6.5 ounce} link smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water


Preparation
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shrimp, seasoning, and black pepper, tossing to coat. Cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently. Remove from pan; keep warm. 

2. Return pan to medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add bell pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sausage; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add reserved shrimp mixture and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1/4 cup water; cook 30 seconds, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove from heat, let stand 2 minutes. 



Seems like a relatively easy dish!
Not only that, but it really helps to get shrimp that are already cleaned out and deveined. So all you have to really worry about is the sausage! I got this from the Cooking Light website but it also can be found in the April 2009 issue of Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast. :)


-S.*

2 comments:

  1. This picture makes me hungry ^_^ thanks for the follow and your lovely comment, I followed you back! xx Joice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun! And thanks for visiting and commenting as well! :D xo

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete