Monday, May 30, 2011

::fried:green:tomatoes::

Now I know in the previous post I said that I hate it when tomatoes are warm, but I think this may just be an exception - they look totally delicious, like deep fried pickles. :) 
Same source for this recipe - from the Martha Stewart site.
I wonder though where I can purchase some green tomatoes. I know that my local grocery store doesn't carry them & I have never seen them at my Farmer's Market. I guess I gotta keep my eye out on the flyers out there and hopefully I can find some big juicy green tomatoes! :) I wonder if they taste any different then red ones. 

Bon Appetit!


Fried Green Tomatoes
This seasonal southern recipe for fried green tomatoes is from Amy Goldman.

Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients
8 medium {about 3-1/2 pounds} green tomatoes
3-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1-3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
5 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups panko {Japanese breadcrumbs}
1/2 cup cornmeal
4 cups olive oil
Aioli, for serving

Directions
Trim 1/2-inch from the stem and blossom ends of tomatoes. Slice tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Season tomato slices with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside. 

In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; set aside. In a second shallow bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2-teaspoon salt, and 1/4-teaspoon pepper; set aside.

Place panko in a shallow bowl along with cornmeal, remaining teaspoon salt, and 1/2-teaspoon pepper; stir to combine and set aside. 

Working with one tomato slice at a time, coat tomatoes with flour mixture, shaking off excess. Coat with egg mixture, followed by breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to a wire rack set over a parchment-lined baking sheed; repeat process with remaining slices. 

Heat 2 cups oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, carefully place tomatoes into the heated oil in a single layer. Fry until golden, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. After frying half of the tomato slices, discard oil and heat remaining 2 cups oil in skillet; continue frying remaining tomato slices. Serve tomatoes immediately with aioli.


Sounds delicious!!!
Although I am unsure why you would need to discard the oil after frying up half the batch. I am not a deep-fryer expert and I am also quite surprised at the suggestion to use olive oil. But I won't question Martha. :) 
Let me know if you guys have ever tried deep fried green tomatoes!


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment