Tuesday, October 18, 2011

::health:goals::

I am just sitting here, dreaming about junk food. And seriously anything is at my finger tips in the University cafeteria. I just got to display a little will power. Especially on my first freakin' day! 
I did have shrimp teriyaki (shrimp, rice, sprouts) which totalled up to around 450 calories for lunch, which isn't bad at all. Tonight I will make a nice light salad...I will try and stick to carbs at least once a day (like, if I have toast for breakfast, then it's protein and veg for the rest of the day). 
I am also drinking lots of teas (green and chamomile) and trying to stear clear from pop and wine with dinner (although one glass never hurt anyone...or two, lol). 
I am going to go over some diet books that I have...probably the South Beach diet or look through the little diet book that came with my Tracy Anderson DVDs. 
I might do a workout as well. I need to get into it...I guess I gotta set small goals. Baby steps. If I don't succeed with regards to that then I am bound to mess up. 
I am sure everyone has some weaknesses...for instance, my boyfriend LOVES sweets and chocolate...and I am the exact opposite. I love salty foods...some of my vices are salt, potatoes, pasta, vinegar, cheese and wine. Those can be totally tricky to get away from. 
I am also not a huge fan of raw veggies unless there is a lot of dressing on them, but I am completely content with steamed ones with a hint of salt. Yum. 
Since beginning my new healthy eating, I am going to try and avoid processed foods and fizzy drinks.
Of course you can definitely have a cheat meal during the week...some people even have a cheat snack once a day...I am going to try and really stay strong. If I feel like having that greasy chicken burger I am going to think back about what my planned cheat meal is and whether I want that or if I just want to throw it all out the window (not the whole diet) and go with the wanting of it right then and there. 
For example...this weekend, I want to eat lots of potatoes...well, not LOTS but I want that to be my main portion of my meal...because I love them. So all week I am going to try and avoid super starchy foods or anything buttery and salty. 

I am glad to say though that I went up to the caf and totally steered clear from the pizza place and the fountain pop machine. Instead I just have a nice cold bottle of water to tie me over until dinner, which is going to be cucumber salad with sour cream and vinegar dressing. 
Even though I would LOVE to have potatoes with that meal...I will have to hold off. HAVE TO! 
I am definitely craving salad though right now so I am looking forward to my mini dinner. 

Which leads me to the next recipe.

Bon Appetit!

Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Snap Peas
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
Level: Easy

Ingredients
4 chicken cutlets {about 1-1/4 pounds}, patted dry
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
All-purpose flour, for dredging
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 scallions, thinly sliced
8 ounces mushrooms {button, cremini, shiitake or a combination}, quartered 
1-1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups sugar snap peas, stemmed and halved lengthwise

Directions
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Dredge 2 chicken cutlets in flour, shake off any excess and place in the skillet. Cook until golden, about 1-1/2 minutes per side; transfer to a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the other 2 chicken cutlets. Cover the dish loosely with foil; place in the oven while you prepare the vegetables. 

Add the butter to the hot skillet, then add the scallions and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms brown, about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil, scraping up an browned bits with a wooden spoon. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly, 3 to 4 more minutes. Stir in the snap peas and heat through; season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the creamy vegetables. 


-S.*

{Image Credit: Antonis Achilleos}

No comments:

Post a Comment