Saturday, October 01, 2011

::weekend:posting::

Okay - I seriously need to stick to one font. When I post from other computers and I view my blog it shows the font that I choose, and then when I go on a different comp it shows some generic ugly type. *barf!*
I am just going to stick with Georgia - always on my mind. ;)

Sooo, it's the weekend! I am sitting here with a scarf wrapped around me watching the Food Network {what else is new...actually, I haven't watched this channel in a LONG time} with my cat sitting beside me on my bed, bouncing up and down because as I type the whole bed is moving. Haha. 
It's a gorgeous Fall day...I wish it were a bit rainy though, but the sun is out and you can clearly see the leaves beginning to turn. 
I love the whole transition from Summer to Fall...although sometimes in Canada, the leaves will just simply, fall...no colour change or nothing. This has happened a few times and it's a little disappointing. This year, it's a melee of fiery colours. Loves it. 

It's quite cool out and my mind is racing with ideas as to what I should wear today...I always keep coming up blank though. 
I have gained a bit of weight since the last Fall season and I don't have much that I fit in to. 
Now, I am trying to shake this weight off...slowly but surely it's going to happen. :) So far so good though, the last 3 weeks alone I have lost a total of 12lbs. Woohoo! :)
Yay me. 
This didn't have anything to do with exercise either, just eating healthy {minus the Reese' peanut butter cups I ate at 2 in the morning, remember the last post I had a random hankering....it beat me down!}.
Anyways! 
Tonight the boyfriend and I have a birthday party to go to...not to sure what else is on the agenda for today other then running errands, paying bills, getting the Dyson fixed {which my boyfriend broke!}, and other things...
I also want to go to David's Tea to pick the Fall collection up.
So that is what we will be doing on Saturday.

Anyways! It's recipe time!
Emeril Lagasse has a little section in Martha Stewart's mini magazine "Everyday Food" - and a lot of his foods are kid-friendly as he now has children of his own. 
A lot of his recipes look delicious but I usually pass...as it's geared more towards kids fare...but I did stumble across one today that would be a great to bring to a party or make when you have friends coming over for a game. 
Since we are going to a birthday BBQ tonight I just might whip this up as it's super easy and quick.

Bon Appetit!


Spicy Sausage, Bean, and Cheese Nachos
Serves 6 to 8
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

If your family doesn't like spicy sausage, feel free to substitute any other variety, such as breakfast pork sausage or even turkey sausage for a lighter touch.

Ingredients
1 pound fresh hot pork sausage {casings removed}, crumbled
4 scallions, white and green parts separated and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 cans {15 ounces} each pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
12 ounces large tortilla chips {restaurant style}
3 cups grated pepper Jack sharp cheddar, or a combination
1/4 cup picked jalapeno slices {optional}
salsa and sour cream for serving

Directions
1. Preheat over to 450 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking meat apart with a wooden spoon, until sausage is browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towels to drain.

2. Add scallion whites and garlic to skillet; cook until fragrant and soft, about 20 seconds. Stir in beans and cook 1 minute. Add broth, chili powder, cumin, and salt. With a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash beans until chunky-smooth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Spread half the tortilla chips in a large ovenproof platter or baking dish. Top with half the beans, half the sausage, half the cheese, and half the jalapenos {if using}. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake until cheese melts and nachos are hot, about 5 minutes. Serve nachos topped with scallion greens, salsa, and sour cream. 


Probably better then your regular run of the mill nachos that you throw into the microwave so the cheese melts - this definitely sounds a lot more heartier and would make a great meal. Let me know if you guys try this out. 
Also; you don't have to follow all these ingredients to a tee. 
I would probably throw some onions in while cooking the sausage to add a little more flavour and I am a huge fan of kidney beans, so I may end up using that and regular cheddar cheese. The possibilities are endless. :) 

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! :)


-S.*

{Source: Everyday Food, Jan/Feb 2010 issue}

No comments:

Post a Comment