Thursday, October 27, 2011

::turkey:leftovers::


Oh dear...I have been putting off making turkey for forever...and I really need to make it sometime soon because I am craving it like a kookoonut. You know how people think of sex like, fifty billion times a day...yea, I'm thinking of turkey. Sad, eh? I cannot help it. During Thanksgiving I did NOT have my fill of turkey I just wanted more and more and more...but sadly, my belly could only hold so much {well, not sadly...I don't want to have a turkey gut, ha ha}. 
I just caaaaaan't stop thinking of turkey and crispy skin, stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, crescents, roasted carrots, peas and creamed corn, gravy, cranberries {even though I don't eat it for some reason this keeps popping into my head, maybe I'll finally try it}, bacony brussels sprouts, wax beans and just...EVERYTHING! Everything amazingly Thanksgiving-ish. 
Alas, that $hit can be expensive so I gotta wait until we have a bit of extra cash, especially since my boyfriend has been watching too much "Till Debt Do Us Part" and he's becoming the penny pinching master. 
I might have to just stick with turkey chili...ho hum...
No. I am definitely going to make it. I will probably plan it around the same time as the US Thanksgiving and do it then. I guess turkey's never go out of style so I shouldn't worry. Lol. 
Anyways...there are a tun of recipes out there as well on how to use some of your Thanksgiving leftovers {although I am sure most of you have gobble-gobbled it all up by now} but I am going to share this recipe with you all anyways. It sounds sooo yummy. Omg...for some reason when I think of the bread the turkey sits on with gravy I think of the toast that KFC used to have just completely smothered in butter...fifty billion calories and you'd gain an extra olsen twin, I know, but worth it none the less. Ha ha. :)

Bon Appetit!


Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich with Mushroom Gravy
This satisfying sandwich can be made with the recipe for Roast Turkey Breast and Gravy or with your own turkey and gravy leftovers.

Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches

Ingredients
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
1 pound mixed domestic and wild mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, or cremini, trimmed and quartered
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup Madeira wine
1-1/2 cups gravy
4 thick-cut slices white sandwich bread, such as pain di mie {Pullman}
3 pounds roast turkey breast
1 small bunch watercress

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and thyme; cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute until they release liquid and are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add Madeira, raise heat to high, and saute until liquid is cooked away, 3 to 5 minutes. Add gravy; cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. 

Meanwhile, slice turkey into about 1/4-inch-thick slices, and add to the gravy. Heat until turkey is hot, about 1 minute. 
Toast bread under the broiler on both sides until golden but still soft.
Place toast on serving plates, spoon 1 or 2 tablespoons gravy over toast, and scatter watercress on top. Arrange turkey over toast, and spoon mushrooms and gravy over meat. Serve Warm.


Omg. This sounds sooo amazing! I am TOTALLY going to make this once I have some turkey leftovers. :) 


-S.*

{Source: Everyday Food - Martha Stewart}

No comments:

Post a Comment